Dr. Blink #0 is now off to press! It should be shipping in two to three weeks!
I am so amazingly stuffed full of anticipation about this, you have no idea.
Chris’ artwork is just unbelievable. It’s a real privilege working with him on this project. He’s added so much to my original vision, I can’t possibly see ever having even considered working with anybody else on this.
On a personal note, I’m also very happy with the book’s main story: “The Secret Origins of Dr. Blink.” I can be very hard on myself, but this time I’m just bloody chuffed with the end result. I can’t begin to express how excited I am that this entire thing is happening. The only thing that could have made me happier would have been that we could have afforded to publish this in color. Ahhh, well. One day, perhaps. (Chris has colored ALL the Blink pages, so one day…fingers crossed…)
Bug your comic stores about this, if you feel so inclined. The main story may be one of those rare moments when I realize I’ve done something right.
Here’s an inked page (no colors or word balloons here…I just wanted to show how fantastic Chris’ art is ON ITS OWN!
Much that I love Dork Tower, and hope it lasts forever, for the last year I’ve felt like Dr. Blink was probably the single best, purest idea I’ve ever had. And now the comic book is almost a reality, and I couldn’t be happier with it.
The other big difference is, with Dork Tower, I always feel like I’m walking a tightrope: I’m up there on my own. With Dr. Blink, there’s Chis, Melissa, Dr. Beth…it’s like being on part of a really cool, fun team. Wow, do I feel like bouncing off of the walls right now. Time to put Stereolab’s “Pinball” on, I think.
By the way, here’s a sample of the cover for Dr. Blink #1, due out in September (when the book starts its bimonthly run).
Chris, simply put, rawks.
On that note, here’s the latest “Reasons To Be Cheerful, Part III”:
* A new season of Celebrity Poker Showdown on Bravo. Yes, I do love this show, mostly because you can watch people play VERY badly on it…
* A new season of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. To me, this is one of the most positive, affirming shows on television. Plus, it’s just a hoot and a half to watch.
* Dork Tower 27 is IN STORES NOW! Woo-hoo! I’ve already received feedback from England and Australia on it. Surprisingly, I’ve had no e-mail on the ONE topic I thought would garner e-mail. Oh, well. La-di-dah…
* The NEW WILCO ALBUM draws ever-nearer!
* There’s stuff shipping this month that I’ve had a hand in: Creatures and Cultists (Eos), Chez Goth (SJG) and the Star Munchkin RPG (SJG)
* Dork Tower 28 is well on the way to going to press.
* The hummingbirds have returned!
* My travel plans to Helsinki and Ropecon in July have been confirmed! I miss Europe tremendously. One day I’d love to live in London.
* The June 4 issue of Comics Buyers Guide did a big-ass story on me. I sound like my usual dorkish oaf-like self (note to self: think before you talk…even better, DON’T talk!), but other than that, I think it turned out OK…
* The Lovely and Talented Judith is home again, having been in San Diego for the Whad’Ya Know road show there!
* Robin Laws put a new sample of his very drool “The Birds” comic strip up…
* Guest Week on Dork Tower – Wednesday’s and Friday’s contributions are just magnificently funny.
Got a reason to be cheerful? Let me know!